Sunday, April 13, 2008

Superior to Globe

Superior

We woke up a little later than usual to compensate for the lack of sleep from the night before. We were a bit sluggish getting our gear packed and when we were finally ready, Taran had a flat ... arrgh. Luckily we had a short day ahead of us - 25 miles. However, it was mostly uphill. I don't think Taran was feeling particularly well, cause he found it difficult to climb the hills. Usually he is keen to do hills, but today he suffered. We passed through a long tunnel today that was a bit scary. It was loud and dark, it did not have a shoulder to ride in and it was uphill. Luckily there were two lanes because traffic was somewhat heavy.

This part of Arizona has a few copper mines. We saw an open pit mine that was very large. Apparently they had been closed for many years but now that the price of copper is so high, they have been reopened.

Warmshower Host: Larry and Susan

We're currently at a wonderful warmshower host's place. They are extremely friendly and fed us an amazing dinner - pork chops, corn, stuffing, a fabulous salad complete with mini red and yellow peppers and avocado. This was my kind of meal! Susan even made dessert - a chocolate brownie type thing with frozen yogurt. Taran went beserk over the dessert. He finished the frozen yogurt container. He kept eating and eating...
Both Larry and Susan (and their 8 children) are avid cyclists. About 10 years ago they took four of their kids on a cycling trip from Globe to Canada! The youngest child was 11 at the time. That sounds so cool! I certainly hope I continue cycling when I get back. I've lost 15 pounds so far and I'm hoping cycling will keep it off. Also, I will be able to see more of the Cowichan Valley!!

Taran is watching a movie - Men in Black. I'm hoping to go to bed early because we have a long day tomorrow. We're heading to Thatcher which is about 80 miles away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ian, Taran:
Send me you email address and I will send you the pictures and video that I have.
Terry